NVCnextgen offers opportunities to advance your own education and skill with Nonviolent Communication, Restorative Justice, Restorative Practices, Collaborative & Proactive Solutions, Trauma-Informed, & Mindfulness. To find more information about upcoming opportunities email: email@example.com; or check us on Facebook, or under the linked NVCCalendar.
NVCnextgen hosts an Annual Restorative Practices Conference in Maui, Hawaiʻi each year in July. Throughout the school year we offer Peer Mediation Trainings to middle school and high school age children. We also offer 6 week courses relating to Nonviolent Communication, Conflict Resolution, Restorative Practices & Empathy. NVCnextgen offers three week parenting classes. For teachers, staff, and faculty, NVCnextgen offers a 10 session course on Restorative Practices & Nonviolent Communication, monthly educational workshops in-school, and day long trainings.
In addition, NVCnextgen offers a training process that helps our professionals become a trainer of ours through various Nonviolent Communication, Mediation, Restorative Practices, Internship, & Individual Study Courses.
Essential elements of Restorative Practices for a Restorative School we teach are listed below. Our goal is to assist schools in creating a restorative environment for its children. There is a brief description by each item, but we would be happy to clarify what a training on a specific subject might look like.
- Mindfulness – being present with each thought we have, each feeling we experience, and each action we take
- Community-Building Circles – experiential lessons on the power of circles. How and why circles bring community together
- Nonviolent Communication (NVC) – empathy, self-empathy, universal needs, identification, feelings identification, what to do when things ‘come up’, respond vs. react
- Conflict Skills – using nonviolent communication and mediation to teach ʻAkamai Conflict Class. Tools to support students’ awareness that conflict is a natural part of life.
- Critical Thinking/Tech Safety – teaching reasoning and evaluation of information. Teaching active learning over passive receiving or screen dependence/addiction.
- Sources of Strength – a strength-based, comprehensive wellness program that focuses on upstream suicide prevention and positive mental health
- Restorative Dialogue – restorative process, restorative questions, basics of restorative justice and how this process supports community rather than breaks it down
- Respect Agreements – living document to be visited regularly. Represents values, commitments, and accountability for classroom
- Trauma-Informed Care – building an environment based on safety, healing, and trust
- Peer Mediation – students supporting students with conflict and the positive changes implementation will bring
- Restorative Room – designated area of school used to re-direct behavior before escalation. This is a trauma-aware environment and is calming and comfortable with supportive adult supervision
- Restorative Circles – after harm has been done, uses the circle process to repair and rebuild relationship(s). Any and all persons touched by the harm are welcome to join this circle process
- Collaborative Proactive Solutions (CPS) – an evidence-based model of care that helps caregivers focus on identifying the problems that are causing concerning behaviors in kids and solving those problems collaboratively and proactively
- Equity & Multiculturalism – inclusion, fairness, focus on commonalities to strengthen community and Hawaiian cultural awareness
- Formal Restorative Justice Conferences – full community involvement with a restorative process to discuss harms and obligations resulting from those harms and try to make things right
- Reentry Circles – reentry circles are used to reintegrate, acknowledge, and support someone who has been absent from their community for any reason (illness, suspension)
- Research to Track and Measure Progress
NVCnextgen is pleased to work alongside Maui schools toward our joined mission of bringing more peace to our schools, families, communities, and beyond!